Electric Cooperative Youth Tour - June 10-16, 2017
High School Sophomores & Juniors ... Write a winning essay and win a trip of a lifetime -- an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C.!
- To enter the essay-writing contest, you must be a sophomore or junior in high school.
- You and your parents or guardian must be served by Mor-Gran-Sou Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- The essay is not to exceed two standard 8 1/2 x 11-inch typewritten, double-spaced pages on this topic: Democracy is the foundation of our American way of life and of cooperative enterprise. The fundamentals of democracy include voter participation, political party affiliation, and public debate of issues. Describe what you think makes our current democracy strong, and provide suggestions for ways our democracy can be made stronger and more effective.
- Submit an essay in hard copy or electronic format to Mor-Gran-Sou. Electronic submissions should conform to the two-page, double-spaced guideline described above. Include a cover page with your name, date of birth, school and grade in 2017, parent or guardian's name, address and telephone number.
- The deadline is January 31, 2017. E-mailed entries should be directed to Jackie Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard-copy entries should be mailed to: Youth Tour Essay Contest, Mor-Gran-Sou Electric Cooperative, Inc., P.O. Box 297, Flasher, ND 58535-0297.
- If you have any questions, please contact Jackie Miller or Julie Armijo at Mor-Gran-Sou at the address above, or call 701-597-3301, 701-663-0297 or 1-800-750-8212 during regular business hours.
What is the Government-in-Action Youth Tour?
Every June, as many as 1,500 high school students from across the country spend a week in the nation's capital as part of the National Rural Electric Cooperative Youth Tour. The students are sponsored by electric cooperatives – cooperatives that are committed to educating America's rural youth about America and the role electric cooperatives play in developing strong rural communities.
Participating in the Youth Tour is an awesome way to learn about this great nation, develop leadership skills, gain a better understanding of electric cooperatives, and make friendships that will last beyond the week!